It is thought that there were a large number of German-speaking Lutherans that attended the Norwegian Church. Plans were put in motion by Rev. Skindlov to meet their needs by inviting German-speaking pastors on a monthly basis to come to Sandpoint and provide services in German in the afternoon. They got a full-time pastor and built their own church in 1912. It was named Trinity Evangelical German Lutheran. The building still stands today, but has been refurbished to be a house and not a chapel.
Unification With the German Lutherans
Photo of Trinity Lutheran German Church
"Three lots 75 x 150' were purchased at Main and Alder Streets, and a chapel was erected by Pastor and members, hand in hand.
The actual building, with several articles of furniture, were procured at a cash outlay of only $613.53.
In the matter of labor, Mr. Robert Altman took the lead, being assisted day after day by the pastor of the church. The latter in turn enjoyed the hospitality of the various families of the congregation.
Mr. John Loeffler wired the building free of charge, donating both labor and materials.
Mr. Fred Holz and Mr. LV Sammons donated several days work. Mr. George Funk donated a large load of sand and gravel. Others who helped with the cement work, the chimney, the roof, and the carpenter work in general where the following: William Weisleman, Otto Mosolf, John Burt, Fred Stulz and son, Anton Petri, Hugo Krause, John Loeffler, HF Killian, Irwin Altman, and Walter Swineherd. The willing help of the ladies of the congregation, in addition to their financial contributions, as individuals and through the Aid Society, were appreciated. They put the blue cardboard plaster on the walls and ceilings and they decorated the windows with stained-glass paper. They also assisted in varnishing the pews and lectern. They oiled the floor, and one of them even helped to paint the exterior of the building!
But above all, the congregation is indebted to Mr. Robert Altman for constant assistance and encouragement. The Lord has been gracious to us let us show our appreciation by coming to him.
**(from notes left by Reverend Swinehart)
***from notes from Reverend Swinehart
September 18, 1938
After the morning service at Emmanuel Norwegian Lutheran Church, a meeting was held with a number of members of Trinity German Lutheran Church. Present were Robert Altman and Mrs. Robert Altman, a nonmember. Mrs. Crabtree, Mrs. Krause, Mrs. Petrie, Mrs. R. Prepkorn and Mrs. F. Holtz.By request, Rev. G. Gabrielson was also present.
Rev. Swinehart read three resolutions made by the church members concerning the church structure and the contents of the church, and they passed unanimously. In short, the trustees were to sell the property, to reserve the furniture for possible use in another mission church, and to turn over the proceeds of sale of the church building to the Norwegian Lutheran Church, which Reverend Swineherd encouraged his members to join.
Rev. Gabrielson made it very clear that the Trinity members were very welcome without any financial considerations at all.
A collage of pictures from Mae and Walt Burt, recently located. The middle row shows the main door of the German Church, and the bottom row shows Reverend Swinehart standing behind a parishioner with most of the congregation assembled outside. Walt Burt can identify members of his family in that picture. the pastor and his family stands next to their car in the other picture, and outside their home in Rathdrum in the family grouping above that one.